The Thing Ladder is a list of people who all want to play a regular game of Thing, e.g. pool, darts, snooker, chess, draughts, connect 4 etc.
For now, Thing is just a two player game.
- Any player may challenge another player up to N places above him/her, where N is set by the owner of the Ladder.
- A challenge is determined by a M games of Thing (e.g. best of 3 in pool, 1 game of chess, etc), where M is set by the owner of the Ladder.
- If a challenge is successful, the challenger takes the losers place, the loser and any players in between each move down one.
- If a challenge is unsuccessful, the ladder remains unchanged.
- A draw is to be considered an unsuccessful challenge.
- The cost of the game is to be split between the two players (this is not about betting, or about getting free games of Thing for the best player).
- Any players not on the ladder are considered unranked. New players may challenge the bottom K positions on the ladder, where K is set by the owner of the Ladder.
- K may also be set to vary by availability (e.g. if a challengee declines, K++), or Ladder length.
- Every J days/weeks/months, running scores for the Ladder will be calculated, and the Ladder will be reordered. One possible reordering method is:
- The player at the top will get P points, where P is the number of players on the Ladder.
- The 2nd placed player gets P-1, 3rd gets P-2, and so on.
- The top P/Q players will be drawn at random for the top P/Q places, the next P/Q will be drawn at random for the next P/Q places, and so on. Q is set by the owner of the ladder.
- Refusal of challenges:
- A player may decline a new challenge for D days, but must either play or concede after that time.
- A player may decline a â€˜repeat challengeâ€™ (any challenge issued by the same person on the same day as a failed challenge) for 2D days, but must then play or concede after that time.
- Do email invites for challenges. With one-click accept/decline links.
- Email nag for results.
- Emailing in of results.
- Nicely printable board.
- One page config.
- One page invite.
- Add comments/photos/videos from each game of Thing.
- Add testimonials for each player (from other players).
- Add â€œranksâ€ for players to level up. Allow higher ranked players more time to decline (or less).
- Run tournament graph algorithms to work out the dominance relationships between players who never play each other.
- Extend to X-player games (e.g. Scrabble, Monopoly).
- Add betting, for places where itâ€™s legal.
- Add profile photos (link to other apps? Geocode?).
- Add venue data (link to other apps? Geocode?).
- Email digests of results.
- Do RSS feeds for results.
- SMS notification of challenges.
- Accept SMS for results.
- Promote its use in a few pubs, especially if they have wifi and a pool table.
- Seed the app with a night in the The Elbow Room (or favourite pool hall of your choice).
- Add an optional tournament module where seedings are taken from point rankings.